In light of an increase in skimmer attacks, Hyosung encourages you to review the nature attacks, your risk exposure and steps you can take to protect your fleet.
There are 3 types of skimmers, all designed to read Track 2 data from the customer’s card:
- Overlay Skimmers attach to the outside of the ATM that read the card as it enters the ATM
- Throat Skimmers attach on the inside of the fascia that read the card as it enters the ATM
- Deep Insert Skimmers are inserted into the card reader that read the card when it is inside the card reader
Not all card readers have anti-skim capabilities. The most accurate way to determine if you have a card reader with anti-skim capabilities is by the firmware version; the firmware version is available from VDM or by printing the SP/EP version from the NBS Supervisor menu
- For DIP card readers with anti-skim capabilities the EP version will be either V4414-xxx or V5293-xxx.
- For motorized card readers with anti-skim capabilities the EP version will be V5969-xxx or V4017-xxx.
Be aware DIP card readers with anti-skim capabilities can only detect external skimmers. Motorized card readers with anti-skim capabilities can detect internal and external skimmers.
- Install anti-shim plates on all card readers. These can be purchased through our WebOrders website (https://weborder.hyosungamericas.com/SU02310)
- For DIP card readers see part number 5766000260
- For motorized card readers see part number 5766000255
- Adopt a card reader with anti-skim capability.
- Schedule regular (morning) visual inspections of machines looking for overlays or foreign objects inside the card reader.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-877-Hyosung.
Executive Vice President Software